Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Momma's sloppy Joes


These sloppy joes are a family favorite, especially for my son. I like to make these and then freeze the rest, for a quick meal later. We also like to make these for Halloween night, because there fast, warm and easy! And they taste better the longer that they simmer.

1 1/2 lbs Hamburger
3/4 cup ketsup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion

Directions
1.Cook meat slowly in skillet with salt and onion.
2.Meanwhile, make sauce by mixing together all other ingredients and cooking slowly over low heat for 15 minutes.
3.Drain (not much to drain if you use ground round) and add meat.
4.Let simmer for at least an hour, stirring from time to time, to let meat absorb the sauce.
5.Serve on hamburger buns with cheese slices and/or pickle slices.

3 comments:

windy said...

So I tried these last night for dinner and everyone loved them thanks !

Linda said...

Always wanted to know the recipe to your mom's sloppy joes! Thanks, can't wait to try them!

Tami Haws said...

So we have been trying something new and the kids love it. We bought a juicer it was $100 but we got it on sale for $22...I know great sale. We have been juicing everything the kids love it and it has been a great sorce of nutrition for me and our kids. After we juice we get the pulp (I juice one fruit at a time unless you would want to mix them) and I put the pulp in popsicle holders (Dont forget to remove seeds and skin before juicing) and freeze them for friut popsicles. The kids love it. I have been playin around with differant mixes too. I juiced some pineapple and oranges and got the pulp out and chopped real fine some strwberries in it. Also if something is not very sweet you can mix a little honey in it. Anyway I thought this was a great healthy treat...although it may be even better in the summer :) We have actually noticed a boost of energy after drining the juice as well. Try it out and ENJOY!!!