Saturday, January 10, 2009

Help in sacrament meeting!!!!!

Keeping kids quiet and happy in church or any place that they need to behaive is a difficult task for all mothers. Tami posted this idea, which is great! Please help us with your ideas (click on comments at the bottom of this post)


Tami Haws said...
I got some advice from my bishop the other day that might help some of you mothers that have kids that wont hold still during sacrament. My son is almost 2 and he has a hard time holding still and usually wants to play during sacrament. My bishop told me that I should have, what he calls quiet time at home. To get them used to sitting for a legth of time. We started out about five min. Everyday we will sit on the couch no TV no phone I get out very quiet small toys that he has to play with on the couch and I say "quiet time" and while he does that I read scriptures so he will be familiar with scriptures and being quiet. The first week we started out at 5 min then we work up to 10 and so on. It take trial and error but I am seeing improvment in our son. Good Luck!

Melinda Ford said...
I just had a little idea that I learned from an occupational therapist for my children (because they have sensory weird things going on) and I think it might help for others as well. I don't always do this, but it is supposed to help. Participating in a high sensory activity right before children have to sit still can be beneficial (as long as it doesn't rile them up too much). By this I mean stomping or pounding, anything that gives high feedback to their skin and muscles will allow them to sit still for longer. On a different note, I found that talking to them about Jesus and His church (house) helps them to understand why they are being quiet and reverent. I started talking to my oldest at age 1 about the sacrament and how Jesus died for us and that we don't kick the pews and we treat the hymn books well because this is Jesus' house and the hymn books have special songs about Jesus. This really seemed to touch base with him and I've never really had a problem with acting out except on a fairly rare occasion. I know that all children are different but I think all will respond to the Spirit and doing what is right if they know why.

2 comments:

Melinda Ford said...

I just had a little idea that I learned from an occupational therapist for my children (because they have sensory weird things going on) and I think it might help for others as well. I don't always do this, but it is supposed to help. Participating in a high sensory activity right before children have to sit still can be beneficial (as long as it doesn't rile them up too much). By this I mean stomping or pounding, anything that gives high feedback to their skin and muscles will allow them to sit still for longer. On a different note, I found that talking to them about Jesus and His church (house) helps them to understand why they are being quiet and reverent. I started talking to my oldest at age 1 about the sacrament and how Jesus died for us and that we don't kick the pews and we treat the hymn books well because this is Jesus' house and the hymn books have special songs about Jesus. This really seemed to touch base with him and I've never really had a problem with acting out except on a fairly rare occasion. I know that all children are different but I think all will respond to the Spirit and doing what is right if they know why.

Tami Haws said...

Here is a great recipe for Healthy Granola. My kids love it as a snack, or in yogurt. This recipe is for 18 servings. I make a lot at a time because it stores very well. You can change it in any way to match your taste better. I dont put any dried fruit in it because it adds a lot of carbs, but it goes well with any add-ins. Enjoy


Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Servings: 18

TIP - You can find ground organic flax at sams. I use it in everything. When your baking you can use the flax instead of oil and you can use as a egg sub. I also put it on my kids PB&J sandwhichs, omlets, casseroles and much more. They love it and you really can't taste it.

Flax/oat Granola

Ingredients:
4 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chopped toasted almonds
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dried papaya

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the oats, almonds, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, canola oil, and honey. Spread evenly over the prepared baking sheet, pressing down lightly with the back of a spoon.
3. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely.
4. In a large bowl, break the cooled granola into large chunks. Mix in the raisins, pineapple, sweetened dried cranberries, and papaya. Store in an airtight container